Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pulling small groups

Today I wanted to work on writing numbers-- an area in which first and second graders differ quite widely. So I set up two open-ended choices: exploring base ten blocks again and making numbers on with rubber bands on the geoboards. Then, while the class worked on these tasks independently I pulled small groups to work with me at the table on writing numbers. Youngers counted sets in pictures and practiced writing how many. With only a small group at the table I could catch and correct any mis-starts and reversals. Olders worked on a similar task, counting pictorial representations of base ten blocks and writing number words to match the pictures. Gosh they felt grown up doing this! Of course, it being only the second day of school, stamina for independent work wore thin pretty quickly, so I had to zip through these small groups as best I could!

No comments:

Post a Comment