Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Classroom Set Up

With the start of a new school year quickly approaching, it is classroom set-up time once again. Here is a little glimpse into my 1st-2nd grade room.


You'll notice that I've got tables rather than desks-- something that I adore, since in my experience desks quickly become trash pits and it is easier to move kids' seats when you need to make a quick change. There are bins of communal supplies in the middle of each table (markers, pencils, scotch tape, a stapler, glue sticks, and scissors). You'll also notice the rug area where I do large group instruction. Most of the tables are for indepdent work and the round table in the corner is for small group instruction. Each child has an assigned "table spot" and an assigned "rug spot." There are a few small desks tucked around the room for children who need an extra bit of privacy when working independently.
Obviously, this set-up is for a primary grades classroom, with the rug area probably as a the main give-away. I know lots of elementary classrooms with rug areas, but I've never seen it in a classroom for older students. I was talking the other day with a high school teacher about differentiation, including "sprialing-scaffolded tasks," and he said that he couldn't imagine using this structure with a traditional desk set-up. After all, I'd described how my students stay on the rug if they need or want teacher support. But it seems to me that there would have to be a way to make the structure work with older kids. Maybe the desks at the front of the room could be for kids who'd like extra support and the desks at the back could be for independent work. Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment