Friday, October 8, 2010

Drawing Conclusions

Not only do students need to be able to make a graph, they need to be able to look at a graph and draw conclusions from it.  Today we looked at graphs we'd made previously and practiced talking and writing about the results.  First we looked at some of the big graphs we'd made on chart paper and we discussed them using vocabulary cards reading "most," "least," "greater," "more," "less," "fewer," and "altogether." I modelled recording some of our conclusions on chart paper.  Then I gave each child back the graph they'd made yesterday along with a paper headed with the prompt: "From my graph I learned that..."  These were stapeled onto the graphs before being turned in.  As students finished, they came to show me.  We reviewed their work together and I marked it with one smiley face for every sentence they wrote.  This motivated a number of students to go back and write more conclusions before declaring their work "finished."   After handing in the completed graph and conclusion sheet, they were allowed to go on to develop a new survey and graph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment