Thursday, October 14, 2010

Graphing Assessment

I've been referring to our math time these past few weeks as "graphing workshop," and I've been thinking of it as very much akin to our "writing workshop."  If you are familiar with Lucy Calkins' Writing Workshop model, you'll understand how in order to assess students' learning, I decided to collect an "edited" and "published" piece of graphing work from each.  Lucy uses the phrase "fix up and fancy up" when she introduces the idea of publication to young children.  I found myself using the same phrasing today, telling the class that they would be choosing one of the graphs they had created over the past few weeks to "fix up and fancy up."  I modelled how I might do this and shared a checklist for top quality work:  neat, periods and question marks, upper and lowercase letters, vowels, at least one conclusion for first graders and at least three conclusions for second graders.  Students spent the period copying over their graphs, fixing up the writing, and adding new conclusions before mounting them on large construction paper to be hung in the hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment